Technical Project Manager
|Phone:||(01) 660 9040|
5 George's Dock,
Technical Project Manager
HEAnet is Ireland’s National Education & Research Network, providing high quality Internet Services to the 180,000 students and staff in Irish Universities, Institutes of Technology, and the research and education community including primary and post-primary schools. It provides a high-speed national network with direct connectivity for its community to other networks in Ireland, Europe, the USA and the rest of the world.
HEAnet are seeking a Project Manager to work as part of a small team to drive the deployment of system and network services to the Research and Education sector in Ireland. The successful candidate will work on HEAnet’s advanced national network infrastructure, guiding the deployment of advanced services.
The successful candidate will have a background in the design and implementation of enterprise IT systems, with a desire to work as the technical lead with responsibility for project initiation, tracking and delivery. The Project Manager will report directly to the Managed Network Services manager and will work closely with the Managed Network Services team.
The successful candidate will provide support in the following areas:
- Project planning, design and management of IT infrastructure projects.
- Coordinating the deployment of platforms which deliver HEAnet’s services.
- Producing documentation of change control, implementation and related policies.
- Ensure proper change control procedures are implemented.
- Ensure agreed service levels are delivered to clients.
- Perform project reviews to ensure quality and time schedules are maintained, within budget.
- Managing relationships with clients & suppliers.
- Participation in research projects with clients and peers.
- Communication with clients and peer networks.
- Proven experience of managing complex technical projects:
- Qualification or experience and high degree of competency in areas of project management.
- Ability to understand, discuss and document complex ICT environments.
- Ability to motivate teams, and to mentor colleagues.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- A minimum of 7 years ICT industry experience, of which at least 3 years working in a similar role.
- Proven expertise implementing internet services, including:
- The implementation of internet networking technologies for deploying highly resilient services.
- Understanding of cloud network technologies and applications.
- A background of system and/or network administration:
- Excellent knowledge of operating system software and its administration.
- Experience of high availability data storage solutions.
- Good knowledge of network equipment, and the ability to troubleshoot network problems.
- History of interest in complex network and system architectures
- Experience working with cloud technologies and applications.
- Experience managing the performance of team of system and network experts.
- A background in service delivery and/or operation:
- Experience of developing move a service from design to delivery.
- Understanding of client support implications surrounding service transition.
- Exposure to or certification as an ITIL practitioner.
Skills & Aptitudes:
- Solid project management skills.
- Thorough understanding of the Internet protocols and infrastructure (DNS, HTTP, TCP/IP).
- Familiarity with any of the following would be an advantage:
- Enterprise storage solutions (eg IBM v7000, EMC SANs, NetApp Filers).
- Cloud based infrastructure services.
- Virtual Machine/ hypervisor technologies (e.g VMware, KVM).
- Experience of/knowledge of IaaS service offerings.
- Provisioning systems (e.g IBM Tivoli/ISDM).
- Knowledge of Linux/Unix or Windows system administration (shell scripting, perl, awk etc).
- Routing and switching technologies (OSPF, BGP, VLANs, VRRP).
- Scalable data centre services & solutions.
- Cisco switches & routers.
- Proven ability to work as part of a team and as an individual.
- Friendly, collaborative approach.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Interested in developing project management capabilities, but still interested in technological developments.
- A degree in a relevant discipline e.g. Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent relevant industry experience.
- A recognized project management certification would be a definite advantage (e.g. Prince2 Practitioner).
The successful candidate will be based at HEAnet's office, 5 George's Dock, IFSC, Dublin 1.
By close of business Friday 11th May 2012.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should send their CV to email@example.com
Please note as a result of a vacancy within HEAnet this role has arisen and needs to be filled.