This is a GÉANT framework available to HEAnet, its member institutions and consumers of its services.
Services Available under Framework
Thanks to a pan-European collaboration with GÉANT, this framework covers Infrastructure as a Service including Compute, Storage & Network offering a range of attractive Infrastructure as a Service cloud computing solutions, tailor-made, and priced, for academia.
Benefits of Framework
- Save money and time.
- Discounted prices available, which apply to all institutions, large and small.
- Institutions already using cloud services have achieved cost savings of up to 30%, after moving to the framework contracts.
- The ready-to-use agreements comply with EU data protection law and were established using the EC 2014/24/EU procurement directive, which allows you to use the services directly, without running your own tender / call-for-competition.
- Billing and purchasing models were designed to match financial structures in research and education institutions.
- You can manage usage and control spending.
- Network traffic costs are significantly lower thanks to connecting suppliers to HEAnet’s high-performance data network.
- End-users can login using their institutional account, through single sign-on with SAML2 support.
- Already in the cloud? Many vendors allow existing educational licensing arrangements to be transferred (Bring Your Own License).
This framework will expire on 31 December 2020.
More Detailed Information
Click here for Client news Story (QQI)
Click here for study from Liverpool University who build a hybrid HPC cluster based on AWS infrastructure.
Original Infrastructure Providers & Re-sellers for Ireland are:
- Original Infrastructure Providers (OIP) – CloudSigma, Dimension Data
- Microsoft Azure – Micromail, Software One, Comparex, Atea
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) – Comparex, Arcus Global, TI Sparkle
How have we achieved the special conditions of use?
The HEAnet cloud framework is based on the first digital single market for cloud services, established by European association GÉANT. In GÉANT, the European National Research and Education Networks (NRENs) collaborate to make clouds accessible, safe and easy to use. GÉANT conducted a pan-European call-for-competition (tender) for 36 countries, with GÉANT acting as central purchasing body on behalf of the NRENs and their member institutions.
How can you use the services?
Services are available from the GÉANT cloud catalogue.
The framework offerings remove obstacles such as data privacy, contracting, billing and technical integration. This means your institution does not need to invest time and resources on complex procurement.
“Transforming research & education with Microsoft Azure”.
Missed the webinar on Microsoft’s Azure? Re-watch An Introduction to Microsoft Azure HPC Service here.
You can request an information bundle here.
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.