Tyndall National Institute
Lee Maltings, Dyke Parade, Cork
DOR-1 Head of Power Management
Contract: Full Time/Fixed Term
Microelectronic Circuits Centre Ireland (MCCI) is an EI / IDA technology centre hosted at Tyndall National Institute in collaboration with the University of Limerick. Our vision emphasises high impact research outcomes, but beyond that the development of our researchers into independent thinkers and future leaders in Irish companies and in the global semiconductor landscape. MCCI is already collaborating with 31 companies and many of our staff transfer into the thriving microelectronics industry in Ireland on completion of research. MCCI targets real-life applications in Future Communications, Medical Technology and Smart Agriculture, and is currently carrying out innovative research at advanced geometries, in the areas of Ultra Low Power RF, Frequency Synthesis, high speed optical transceivers, high performance data-converters, energy harvesting PMICs and power electronics circuits to enable new applications.
MCCI invites applications for a Head of Power Management. Reporting to the MCCI Director, the Head of Power Management will be, responsible for building and leading an R&D Group, which may include a number of identifiable and named R&D activities. In this role, they will create the power management research roadmap, by engaging with member companies to identify their individual research needs. They deliver on the research roadmap by growing collaborations with academic and industrial partners driving increased funding to expand the group and ensure its long-term sustainability. They will be leading a number of other senior research staff, as well as post-docs and PhD students.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Set the power management research agenda and develop a detailed research roadmap for the power group including project definitions in conjunction with industry partners and the MCCI Director
- To work towards the strategic development of the Group in line with the MCCI Centre strategy
- To generate world-beating research outputs, including IP for commercialisation, and publications in leading conferences and journals such as APEC, ISSCC & JSSC
- Lead an independent research agenda and manage all funding aspects of same including direct bids for major research and/or consultancy projects nationally and internationally
- Define new projects, in conjunction with the Operations Manager, targeting new private and public funding
- Ensure quality of the Group’s output by meeting metrics and Key Performance Indicators agreed by the MCCI Central Steering Committee
- Coordination and management of safety issues within the Group, in consultation with the Tyndall Safety Officer
- Other responsibilities as may be agreed with the Tyndall CEO or MCCI Director
- To attract and recruit key research staff in order to build a world-class industry-focused core research team
- To build relationships with other research groups both nationally and internationally including the creation of collaborative projects and funding opportunities
- Ensuring that the Group’s student supervision and teaching quality is high and that staff and student annual reviews are conducted on-time and in-line with Tyndall procedures
- A PhD (Science / Engineering) or the equivalent nationally recognised professional experience
- The ideal candidate will have at least 8 years post-doctoral experience, or equivalent, in Power Management IC design or research activities - mixed signal devices/circuits/ICs and system integration – with a strong fundamental understanding of energy harvesting, storage and management techniques.
- Experience of leading in a research team environment and managing staff or students
- Extensive knowledge of power electronics circuits, power management architectures and requirements, as they pertain to applications in Communications, Medical technology, or Internet of things
- Excellent communications skills are essential
- Generally a number of years successful track record as a Senior Staff Member
- Extensive understanding of the national and international context of research
- Experience of working on high-profile projects attracting media interest
- Proactive independent researcher with the skills to attract future research funding through academic and industry collaboration.
- Flexible and adaptive with a positive approach to managing substantial projects and associated resources.
- Experience in the design of applications in Internet of Things, Medical Technology, Smart Agriculture, Ultra-Low Power, Energy Harvesting and Storage, is highly desirable
Please note that an appointment to posts advertised will be dependent on University approval, together with the terms of the employment control framework for the higher education sector.
Informal inquiries can be directed to Donnacha O'Riordan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Instructions : Please click here to access Job Description and Application Instructions https://www.tyndall.ie/head-of-power-management
Handwritten forms will not be accepted.
Please note that Garda vetting and/or an international police clearance check may form part of the selection process.
The University, at its discretion, may undertake to make an additional appointment(s) from this competition following the conclusion of the process.
At this time, Tyndall National Institute does not require the assistance of recruitment agencies.
Tyndall National Institute at University College, Cork is an Equal Opportunities Employer.