Tyndall National Institute
Lee Maltings, Dyke Parade, Cork
MH-25 Senior Applications Engineer - Wireless Sensor Networks
Contract Type: Applications Engineer Full-time
University College Cork, Tyndall National Institute invites applications for an appointment as a Senior Wireless Sensor Network (WSN) Applications Engineer to provide technical leadership in the design, development and deployment of Wireless Sensor mote and gateway platforms for conditional monitoring and industrial applications.
This is for supporting a number of EU Research programs that Tyndall has undertaken in alignment with Tyndall’s strategy in participating in ‘ICT for energy efficiency’ projects. The contract is for a minimum of 30 months and will be subject to extension depending on candidate performance and the awarding to Tyndall of similar research contracts.
Tyndall National Institute (Tyndall) is Ireland’s largest research centre, specialising in defined areas of Information and Communications Technology (ICT). Within Tyndall, the ICT for Energy Efficiency team works closely with the WSN team who are developing wireless sensor network solutions with industrial and research partners incorporating environmental monitoring system development and health & fitness systems development. content/wireless-sensor-networks.
The candidate will primarily work initially on the COMPOSITION project, a H2020 factories of the future project:
Modern production facilities need greater agility and flexibility leading to faster production cycles, increased productivity, less waste and more sustainable production. At the factory level, decisions need to be supported by detailed knowledge about the production process and its interplay with external entities and supported by real time data.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
This role will require the ownership for Tyndall’s Integration Work Package and related tasks/ deliverables. These shall include:
- An assessment (scoping study) of the defined factory determined use cases in Ireland (medtech) & Greece (building energy management and supply chain) in order to determine how they can be retrofitted with Wired/Wireless Sensor networks (primarily commercially available) to provide data for the COMPOSITION Integrated Information Management System
- Where there are gaps with commercial parts (e.g. sensor types, multi-radio platforms,) Tyndall will develop platforms based on emerging technology at TRL 5-7 as well as simulation tools to help optimise the placement and battery life of the wireless sensors of the specific uses cases.
- Interfacing and interoperability to existing automation systems and physical Assessments / Surveys of the pilots deployment sites
- Review of the Physical and Cyber security mechanisms in place in the pilot sites with suggestions for improvements
- Planning and Preparation for Deployment in the factories
- Pilot Components, sourcing, procurement, Installation, integration and test
- Completion of installation of Pilot Sensor Infrastructure
- Pilot support maintenance, trouble shooting and decommissioning
Additionally the role will require state of the art literature reviews, writing of project deliverable documents, project meeting attendance, report outs, Pilot Sites point of contact etc.
The candidate is expected to work on similar proposals and projects as they arise as well as provide technical direction to the strategic development of the ICT for Energy Efficiency group in areas such as conditional monitoring, smart cities, factories of the future, smart mobility and development of energy harvesting solutions for self-powering of WSN and other IoT devices.
As well as technical leadership there is provision for undertaking project management activity and/or supervision of more junior staff if the candidate has the interest and aptitude for such activities.
The ideal candidate must have a primary degree in electronics or science and will have at least 5 years (preferably 8 or more) industrial experience in Wireless Systems incorporating design, embedded software development, and wireless sensor system test.
- The successful candidate will be a key member of a team with expertise in microsystems technology, wireless sensors, electronics and low power system design. Relevant experience in an industrial context and in the deployment of WSN hardware would be particularly valuable.
- The candidate needs to be practical, assertive and achievement orientated. Good self-management, report writing skills and communication skills for interaction with project partners is essential. It is also essential that technical and project status reports are delivered in a timely manner in accordance with project terms. The successful applicant should have a degree in Electronic or Electrical Engineering or a related discipline and a postgraduate degree in an area relevant to the above theme.
- Authorship of quality publications and/or patents and management of multiple partners IP would be an advantage as would practical knowledge and experience of electronic system design.
- Excellent communication skills are essential. A proven ability to work well in a team and to ability to work on his/her own initiative to solve technical, logistical and system integrations is critical. The need to work flexible hours is required and to be adaptable in working practice is essential.
Prior experience in working with industry partners is particularly desirable in areas such as selection of hardware, system deployments, definition of use cases, etc. Of particular relevance for the projects are:
- Embedded C Programming experience
- Middleware/Application layer knowledge
- Knowledge of Low Level wired & wireless protocols for buildings and factories.
- Working knowledge of Electronic hardware
Please note that an appointment to posts advertised will be dependent on University approval, together with the terms of the employment control framework for the higher education sector.
Application Instructions : Please click here to access Job Description and Application Instructions https://www.tyndall.ie/senior-maintenance-engineer-_senior-technical-officer
Handwritten forms will not be accepted.
Please note that Garda vetting and/or an international police clearance check may form part of the selection process.
The University, at its discretion, may undertake to make an additional appointment(s) from this competition following the conclusion of the process.
At this time, Tyndall National Institute does not require the assistance of recruitment agencies.
Tyndall National Institute at University College, Cork is an Equal Opportunities Employer.