Tyndall National Institute
Lee Maltings, Dyke Parade, Cork
BMA-17 IERC Research Assistant Software
Contract: Full Time/Fixed Term (Specified Purpose)
The International Energy Research Centre (IERC), hosted at Tyndall National Institute (TNI) is recruiting for the role of research assistant with a focus on software development for the Software for Innovative Energy Research Application (SIERRA) team. The role will work on projects both internally and externally funded, therefore, the optimal candidate will have excellent interpersonal and communication skills. An honours degree in computer science, software development, or related discipline is a must. An MSc is preferred. The research assistant role will work under the direction of the Senior Researcher on the SIERRA team on one or more research projects.
- Work under the direction of the SIERRA team lead.
- Provide assistance in conducting research activities, including planning, organizing, conducting, and communicating research studies within the overall scope of an IERC research project.
- Develop software tools and applications that support energy research applications.
- Contribute to the development and deployment of data analytics applications.
- Assist in the software development process including user requirements, implementation and testing.
- Contribute to report writing for project updates to relevant industry stakeholders.
- Contribute to the publication of project outcomes.
- Work with Senior Researchers in developing plans for future research projects.
- Participate in Education and Public Engagement activities, as required.
- Ensure all activities are compliant with the Tyndall Quality Management system.
- Ensure all activities are compliant with the required Health and Safety standards.
- Carry out any additional duties as may reasonably be required within the general scope and level of the post.
- Perform other related duties as necessary to the work of the IERC.
- An honours degree in Computer Science, Software Development, or related discipline.
- Understanding of the software development lifecycle models.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently to a tight schedule.
- Demonstrated capability of working effectively within a team to achieve results.
- Evidence of excellent organisational and communication skills.
- An MSc in Computer Science, Software Development, or related discipline.
- At least 1 year previous research experience.
- At least 1 year previous experience working in an Agile development environment.
- At least 1 year previous experience with software testing and software quality assurance.
- Demonstrated data and statistical analysis skills.
- Evidence of high levels of initiative.
- Experience in any of the following areas would be of beneficial: Version Control (Git), Windows Server 2012 / Apache Web Server, phpMyAdmin, Bootstrap, JSON, NoSQL, Project Management, software testing / debugging tools, MEAN / MERN, App Development (iOS / Android).
This is a full-time, specified purpose position with the IERC, starting at appointment and tied to available funding. The IERC is an equal opportunity employer supporting a collaborative and creative working environment.
This position may be appointed on the IUA Scales for Research Assistants €21,890-€34,612.
Informal enquiries can be made in confidence to Beth Massey at firstname.lastname@example.org. Further information on the Department is available at www.ierc.ie.
Application Instructions: Please click here to access Job Description and Application Instructions https://www.tyndall.ie/bma-17-ierc-research-assistant-software
Please note that Garda vetting and/or an international police clearance check may form part of the selection process.
The University, at its discretion, may undertake to make an additional appointment(s) from this competition following the conclusion of the process.
At this time, Tyndall National Institute does not require the assistance of recruitment agencies.
Tyndall National Institute at University College, Cork is an Equal Opportunities Employer.