Tyndall National Institute
Lee Maltings, Dyke Parade, Cork
BC-53 Senior Research Scientist- Heterogeneous Integration of III-V and Silicon Photonics
Contract Type: Full Time/Fixed Term
As Tyndall’s Senior Scientist for Heterogeneous Integration of III-V and Silicon Photonics you will drive a cutting-edge research programme that will address some of the outstanding challenges in photonic-electronic integration in order to deliver new technology solutions for applications ranging from smart medical devices to advanced communication systems.
In particular, you will develop a new research team to advance one of the leading emerging technologies for large scale photonic-electronic integration, namely Micro-Transfer Printing (MTP). A key focus of the research will be the integration of III-V active devices (lasers, modulators, detectors etc), together with active and passive silicon photonic ICs and associated electronic ICs using MTP. The research will be enabled by Tyndall’s advanced fabrication, characterisation and test facilities, which include all of the elements needed for the programme, including a dedicated MTP tool. Working initially under the guidance of the Head of the III-V Devices Group, you will be expected to lead a number of existing projects whilst also growing your own independent funding and research streams in order to develop a dedicated team of highly skilled research staff and PhD students.
You will join the Photonics Centre at Tyndall, a vibrant and expanding world-class research ecosystem comprising more than 150 researchers with activities that include photonic theory, III-V and III-Nitride material epitaxy, photonic integration, hybrid integration and packaging, microelectronics, biophotonics and communication systems. You will be expected to develop collaborations across the centre as well internationally through programmes such as the European Horizon 2020 funding framework and its successors. Tyndall also hosts the Science Foundation Ireland Irish Photonic Integration Centre (IPIC) a €30M initiative with 30 industry partners, including large multinationals and indigenous companies and start-ups. You will join IPIC as a funded investigator where, in addition to advancing photonic integration science and engineering, you will have the opportunity to lead a number of research collaborations with industry partners to advance the technology towards market deployment.
In order to achieve this, Tyndall seeks a highly motivated and dynamic individual with a proven track record of research excellence and achievement in photonic integration research, including a deep knowledge of III-V and/or silicon photonic device design and fabrication. You will have at least 5 years’ experience working in a leading academic institution or industrial research organisation and ideally a proven track-record of securing research contracts and defining and leading research programmes. The post offers a superb opportunity for an ambitious individual to establish a long-term research career in a world-leading research institute working on exciting, cutting-edge science at the interface between academia and industry.
- Lead the development of micro-transfer printing and associated technologies in Tyndall
- Disseminate research achievements through publications in leading journals and at leading conferences
- Develop a dynamic research group
- Secure funding from national and European funding sources and industry
- Develop novel intellectual property and support its commercial exploitation
- Develop partnerships with Tyndall Principal Investigators and Senior Researchers
- Contribute to postgraduate training and supervision
- Contribute to the strategic planning and future success of the Tyndall Photonics Centre
- Support education and public engagement activities
- Comply with and enhance safety rules and laboratory protocols.
- Participate in Education and Public Engagement activities, as required.
- Ensure all activities are compliant with the Tyndall Quality Management system.
- Ensure all activities are compliant with the required Health and Safety standards.
- Carry out any additional duties as may reasonably be required within the general scope and level of the post.
- A PhD in a relevant subject area
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience working in a leading academic institution or industrial research organisation.
- A proven track record of research excellence and achievement in photonics, including a deep knowledge of III-V and/or silicon photonic device design and fabrication
- A track record of high quality research and innovation as evidenced by publications and presentations at leading conferences
- Self-motivated, dynamic, interactive and collaborative
- Capable of defining and implementing a broad-based, world-leading research programme spanning from fundamental science and engineering to applied projects with industry partners
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team as well as taking a leadership role
- Experience of student/staff supervision
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience in proposal writing and a history of securing funding from internal company or external public funding sources
- Demonstrated track record of IP generation
Informal enquiries can be made in confidence to Brian Corbett at email@example.com
Appointment may be made on the Grade 7 salary scale €68,177 - €89,009. In all instances the successful appointment will be at the first point of the scale.
Closing date for applications for this position is Thursday, 31st January 2019 at 5pm.
Application Instructions: Please click here to access Job Description and Application instructions https://www.tyndall.ie/bc-53-senior-research-scientist-heterogeneous-integration-of-iii-v-and-silicon
Handwritten forms will not be accepted. No late applications will be accepted.
A full candidate information pack is available to download by clicking here.
Please note that Garda vetting and/or an international police clearance check may form part of the selection process.
The University, at its discretion, may undertake to make an additional appointment(s) from this competition following the conclusion of the process.
Please note that an appointment to posts advertised will be dependent on University approval, together with the terms of the employment control framework for the higher education sector.
At this time, Tyndall National Institute does not require the assistance of recruitment agencies.
Tyndall National Institute at University College, Cork is an Equal Opportunities Employer.