Tyndall National Institute
Lee Maltings, Dyke Parade, Cork
BC-56 Research scientist - Photonics
Contract: Full Time/Fixed Term – Until December 2019 with possibility of extension.
Tyndall National Institute at University College, Cork invites applications for the position of postdoctoral researcher in photonic devices. The successful candidate will join the Photonics Centre at Tyndall to work within the Irish Photonic Integration Centre under the direction of Brian Corbett on the development of Laser Power converters (LPC) with applications in the medical device industry. This device is based on the monochromatic illumination of photovoltaic cells based on GaAs III-V materials. Tyndall National Institute at University College Cork, has over the last decade, been a recognized world leader in the area of integrated photonics and III-V Materials and Devices. The technology has formed the basis of multiple successful commercialisation outputs and the team has an extensive track record of both academic and industrial success.
The postdoctoral researcher will be involved in the design, fabrication, characterization and integration of the devices with majority of the technical and fabrication work being undertaken in clean room environment The project benefits from a successful collaboration with an innovative industrial partner in the medical device industry with whom the successful candidate will collaborate closely with to develop an innovative. Furthermore the successful candidate will have the opportunity to collaborate with other researchers/engineers from across Tyndall including the epitaxy and photonics packaging groups.
- Develop photovoltaic cells in III-V materials for laser power converter application: design, fabricate, characterize and integrate.
- To contribute to the development of specific clean room process flows.
- Analysis and Report the results to the industrial partner and to manage this key research project. This includes support with the preparation of project deliverables, including technical reports, publications and the delivery of prototypes, as well as providing direct technical support to other group members using their knowledge and outputs.
- Disseminate the outcomes of the research to the group, including peer‐reviewed academic publications and presentations at Tyndall and at conferences of international standing
- To engage in appropriate training and professional development opportunities as required by the Principal Investigator, School or College in order to develop research skills and competencies.
- To co-supervise postgraduate research students who are studying for a Masters or a PhD and have an agreed role in supporting these students in their day to day research.
- To work with industry/research partners (existing and planned) to identify their needs (technologies and applications).
- To perform other related duties incidental to the work described.
- Participate in Education and Public Engagement activities, as required.
- Contribute to the engagement on intellectual property activities in partnership with the Office of Technology Transfer
- Ensure all activities are compliant with the Tyndall Quality Management system.
- Ensure all activities are compliant with the required Health and Safety standards.
- Applicants should have a PhD in physics, engineering materials science, or related subject area or have equivalent experience.
- Clean room fabrication experience and/or semiconductor processing knowledge
- Strong self-management, report writing skills, communication, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Photovoltaic knowledge.
- Fabrication skills: Lithography, wet and dry etching, deposition, annealing.
- Electrical and optical characterization of devices.
- Optical design.
- Use of lasers and associated safety protocols.
Informal enquiries can be made in confidence to brian.corbett @tyndall.ie
Appointment may be made on the IUA Researcher €37,221 - €44,266. In all instances the successful appointment will be at the first point of the scale.
Application Instructions: Please click here to access Job Description and Application instructions https://www.tyndall.ie/bc-56-research-scientist-photonics1
Handwritten forms will not be accepted.
Please note that Garda vetting and/or an international police clearance check may form part of the selection process.
The University, at its discretion, may undertake to make an additional appointment(s) from this competition following the conclusion of the process.
At this time, Tyndall National Institute does not require the assistance of recruitment agencies.
Tyndall National Institute at University College, Cork is an Equal Opportunities Employer.