Tyndall National Institute
Lee Maltings, Dyke Parade, Cork
BC-57- Research Assistant/Researcher (Photonics Applications)
Contract: Full Time/Fixed Term
Tyndall National Institute at University College, Cork invites applications for the position of a Research Assistant (Photonics Applications). The successful candidate will join the Photonics Centre at Tyndall to work towards the commercialisation of novel high brightness light sources that are being developed within this Centre. The Research Assistant will interact with potential users of the new technology, select the most promising applications, and define meaningful prototype illumination modules in dialogue with members of the Tyndall team and the external contacts. It is envisaged that the activity will lead to the formation of a new company, and that the engineer could move from Tyndall to this new company, once it is formed. At Tyndall the Research Assistant is to work with colleagues that can design, fabricate, package and test the devices, and build the illumination modules to bring the technology to market.
- To familiarise oneself with the technology and its potential applications
- To present the technology to third parties (potential users)
- To evaluate the commercial opportunity for various illumination products based on the Tyndall technology
- To design prototype illumination products
- Participate in Education and Public Engagement activities, as required.
- Ensure all activities are compliant with the Tyndall Quality Management system.
- Ensure all activities are compliant with the required Health and Safety standards.
- Carry out any additional duties as may reasonably be required within the general scope and level of the post.
- A PhD qualification in physics, electrical engineering or a related subject area (Researcher)
- An honours’ degree in physics, electrical engineering, or a related subject area (Research Assistant)
- A good grasp of optics fundamentals
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- An ability to interact with potential customers in a timely and meaningful way
- An ability to analyse market opportunities critically
- An ability to translate customer needs into meaningful module specifications
- A drive towards the establishment of a startup company
- A track record that evidences a high level of initiative
- Expertise in optical system design
- Expertise in technical sales
- Expertise in equipment interfacing (computer control)
Informal enquiries can be made in confidence to Brian Corbett, email email@example.com
Appointment may be made on the IUA Research Assistant Scale €27,674-€34,269 or IUA Researcher Scale €37,221-€44,266, depending on qualification and experience.
Application Instructions: Please click here to access the Job description and Application instructions
Please note that Garda vetting and/or an international police clearance check may form part of the selection process.
The University, at its discretion, may undertake to make an additional appointment(s) from this competition following the conclusion of the process.
Please note that an appointment to posts advertised will be dependent on University approval, together with the terms of the employment control framework for the higher education sector.
At this time, Tyndall National Institute does not require the assistance of recruitment agencies.
Tyndall National Institute at University College, Cork is an Equal Opportunities Employer.