Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
St Stephens Green, Dublin 2
Title: Quality and Operations Manager
Department: School of Pharmacy
Tenure: Permanent Full Time
Location: 123 St Stephens Green, Dublin 2
Reporting to: Head of School of Pharmacy or nominee
RCSI has been at the forefront of educating healthcare professionals since 1784 when we were founded as the national training and professional body for surgery. Today we are Ireland’s only focused health sciences institution, Ireland’s largest medical school and one of the leading health sciences institutions in the world.
Based in Dublin, with students from over 60 countries and four overseas campuses, RCSI has a global reach through our network of alumni in 97 countries. RCSI is ranked among the top 250 (2%) universities worldwide in the recently released 2019 Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings, and is the second highest ranked institution in Ireland
This is a senior post in the School of Pharmacy, with the successful applicant forming part of the senior management team. The objective of this post is to support the Head of School in the delivery of operational and quality activities required for successful implementation of the School strategy.
Specifically, the duties of the post are:
• Oversee the provision of high quality operational and administrative support to the delivery of the Schools education, research and business development activities
• Coordination and support of accreditation activities including acting as an internal and external liaison point for accreditation activities and preparation of Self-Assessment Reports (SARs)
• Generation of Key Performance Indicators for Accreditation Standards, and measuring on a continuous basis the Schools performance against those standards
• Coordination of the feedback processes within the School for the generation of Quality Improvement Plans
• Managing and assisting with the delivery of internal School activities and processes during the academic cycle including liaising with the College Registry (Student Academic and Regulatory Affairs) function as required
• Collating and communicating operational and quality metrics to the wider leadership team on an ongoing basis
• Direct line management of a small team of people responsible for supporting operational and quality activities within the School
• Assisting in the preparation and development of marketing materials and activities for the School
• Leading and supporting the delivery of projects aligned with the School strategy
• Developing and implementing Standard Operating Procedures for operational processes within the School as appropriate
• Maintaining good working relationships with staff, students, internal and external stakeholders
• Liaising with IT in relation to School matters as required
• 3rd level qualification preferred with a minimum of 2 years’ experience of quality assurance/quality improvement
Knowledge & Experience – (Essential):
• Experience of direct line management
• Meticulous attention to detail, with excellent writing skills and experience in writing of reports e.g. Accreditation reports, tender submissions or research grant proposals
• Excellent time management skills, with an ability to work at pace and in a complex environment
• Can build and maintain complex relationships with a proven ability for both independent and team work
• Has the flexibility to permit working irregular hours
• Ability to undertake international travel
• Ability to develop and lead continuous improvement initiatives
• An effective communication style appropriate to audience and situation
• Representing the best interests of RCSI at all times
• Undergoing programmes of training and development as may be required from time to time
• Performing such other duties as may be required from time to time
Knowledge & Experience (Desirable):
• Experience of working in a regulatory or third level environment/professional body
Skills & Competencies:
• Communication Skills: Proven ability to communicate complex ideas
• Project Management Skills: Ability to ensure that project plans are communicated and that all timelines are met
• Self-starter with the ability to work as part of a team: Ability to operate effectively as part of a team – is cordial, tolerant and willing to help others, is co-operative and patient; shares work and information; establishes rapport, can influence and develop effective networks
• I.T. skills: Expert knowledge of MS Office suite and proficiency with Moodle
• Conscientious: Have a pro-active approach to work, anticipating and resolving problems in advance; have keen attention to detail - from anticipating and addressing issues in advance to understanding requests and delivering quality work with minimal errors.
• Flexibility: Can operate flexibly within a busy environment; can shift focus when required.
• Customer Focus: Have strong customer service skills. Be able to communicate with a high level of initiative, tact, diplomacy and confidentiality.
• Motivated: Display a ‘can-do’ attitude, be committed to RCSI ORI and its development; demonstrate enthusiasm and passion for the role.
This job description may be subject to change to reflect the evolving requirements of the Department and RCSI in developing healthcare leaders who make a difference worldwide.
Similar vacancies that arise in the next 6 months may be filled from the pool of applicants that apply for this position.
RCSI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their gender, civil status, family status, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability or race.
If you have any particular requirements for your interview, please notify the Human Resources Department at your earliest convenience.