5 Georges Dock, IFSC, Dublin 1
Role Purpose / Summary:Technology is at the heart of HEAnet. We are a technology company providing ICT Shared Services and network infrastructure to the Education sector in Ireland. Therefore, the technology function is not only a critical one, it is at the heart of delivering on our strategy, ensuring that our Group and organisation are set up for success and have the right tools and systems in place to meet the ever-changing world around us. As a key component in the largest function in our organisation there needs to be a heavy emphasis on people management, process, systems integration and collaboration so as to remove redundant processes, duplication of effort and focus people on work that drives the success of HEAnet strategy.
There is an opportunity to join the Technical Services Function in the role of Systems Administrator.
As a Systems Administrator, you will work as part of the Systems Operations and Improvement Team to drive the deployment of systems and services to the Education and Research sector and report to the Systems Operations and Improvement Team Manager.
You will work to support new technology which will improve company efficiency, save on resources, environmental impacts and improve our services to our clients. You will encourage an environment of innovation and critical thinking, where new ideas are explored and the need to think differently is encouraged. This is balanced with the need to support the need for standards, policies and processes to be followed and technical documentation created, maintained and stored according to our information and security policies.
You will also support and advocate change and be an exemplar of good HEAnet citizenship, constantly looking to improve the culture, environment, processes and procedures to help cultivate a great place to work and drive a successful future for HEAnet.
Key Responsibility Areas:
The successful candidate will undertake the following:
- Administration of Linux servers, virtual machines, provisioning systems;
- Managing HEAnet’s client web applications and services;
- Deployment of platforms which deliver HEAnet’s services;
- Proactively ensure servers, services and infrastructure are available and secure;
- Ensure proper change control and documentation procedures are implemented;
- Supporting clients with advanced technical problems;
- Participate in the on-call rota.
- Minimum of three (3) years ICT industry experience;
- Experience supporting high availability Linux servers and web applications;
- Familiarity with virtualisation technologies (e.g. VMware, KVM, XEN, Hyper-V)
- Solid systems administration skills on Linux;
- Expertise using and administrating LAMP applications;
- Good with scripting tools;
- Understanding of Internet protocols and infrastructure;
- Experience with automated configuration management systems.
- Experience providing Web Application support for internal and external clients;
- Background in the administration of Enterprise IT systems and/or applications;
- Solid knowledge of Operating system software and it’s administration;
- Excellent knowledge and experience working with Ubuntu/Debian or Redhat/Centos Linux;
- Working knowledge of SQL and relational databases (e.g. MySQL or PostgreSQL);
- Experience with System and Network monitoring tools (e.g. Icinga, MRTG, Munin, Cacti);
- Experience working with cloud technologies and applications;
- Educated to degree level in Computer Science / Computer Engineering or related discipline, or equivalent relevant industry experience.
- Recognised technical certification relevant to the skills outlined a distinct advantage (e.g. Certified Linux Administration, RHCE).
- Proven ability to work as part of a team and as an individual;
- Friendly, collaborative approach;
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communications skills;
- Desire to increase knowledge and learn new skills.
The successful candidate will be based at HEAnet's office, 5 George's Dock, IFSC, Dublin 1.
We aim to fill this vacancy as quickly as possible and will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate. We would, therefore, advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should send their CV with cover letter and include your salary expectations to email@example.com
HEAnet is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.