About this document
This LISTSERV AUP is a supplement to the general HEAnet Acceptable Usage Policy. It lays down specific requirements and recommendations for the use of the LISTSERV Mailing List Service operated by HEAnet. These guidelines are intended to assist members in fulfilling the general AUP, and are not intended to supercede or replace any part of that document.
Classes of User
There are two types of LISTSERV user.
This is a user who subscribes to mailing lists, receives and (at his option) sends postings, but is not involved in the active maintenance of a list.
This is a user who is responsible for the maintenance of one or more lists. The list owners have the ability to alter the configuration of a list on the server.
- posting of unsolicited commercial or advertising material
- posting defamatory material
- mailbombing, or encouraging others to mailbomb
- posting obscene or otherwise offensive material (other than for properly supervised and lawful research purposes, with the consent of all recipients.)
- adversely affecting or jeopardising HEAnet services or those of our members
- actions that contravene the law of the State
- Each list must have at least two non-quiet listowners (this term is defined in the List Owner’s Manual), at least one of whom must belong to a HEAnet subscribing institution.
- While there is no restriction placed on the location of subscribers, the list must be relevant to the needs of the Irish academic community.
Other conditions may be laid down from time to time.
If a list owner experiences severe difficulties with the behaviour of a user of the list, he should contact the support staff at their institution. If, for example, a user or former user threatens the integrity of the list owner’s system (or their institution’s), the list owner should contact their support staff, who will make the correct arrangements to deal with the problem.